Similar to a great halloumi, Burns is a creamy, salty cheese with a satisfying squeak!
Recipe by Philippa Davis
Serves 2 as a starter or snack
Honey and Yogurt Dip
4 tbsp Greek yogurt
5 g fresh herbs, could be a mix of dill / mint / parsley
1 tsp runny honey
175 g Burns Halloumi cut into 6 x 1.5 cm ‘chips’
2 tbsp plain flour
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp smoked paprika
50 ml oil for frying
1) Place all the dip ingredients into a bowl and whisk with a little salt and pepper. Then spoon into a small serving dish.
1) Whisk the flour, cumin, turmeric and paprika in a bowl with a little salt and pepper.
2) Dip each of the Burns chips into the flour mix to coat all the sides and place on a plate.
3) Heat the oil in a shallow heavy bottomed pan to 180C ( or when dropped in, a small cube of bread instantly sizzles) .
4) In batches, fry the ‘chips’ for a couple of minutes until they go golden brown, carefully turning if necessary. Drain on kitchen paper and serve instantly with the dip.